General Information: Working for First Step Family Support Center and in collaboration with Olympic-Kitsap Peninsulas Early Learning Coalition (OKPELC), this outreach project addresses the opportunity gap in lower income, non-English speaking, and American Indian families in rural parts of Clallam, Jefferson, Kitsap and North Mason counties. The position will include travel across four counties into remote areas to meet in listening sessions with parents to identify what parents want and need for their children birth to 5 years. In addition programs will be implemented that attempt to meet these identified needs and wants.
Title: Project Outreach Worker
15.5 hours per week / $18 per hour with sick / vacation benefits
Location: Office in Port Angeles, work covers four counties
- Hosting Community gatherings (Cafes) for parents to hear their interests, concerns and needs
- Assisting parents in identifying the early learning needs of children in their communities
- Identifying supports and / or programs that could be put into place to support parent identified needs for supporting their children’s development
- Identifying and engaging natural leaders in identified communities and hiring them as community liaisons to engage parents
- Identifying and hiring interpreters and / or translators to facilitate the communication between parents and project staff
- Provide programming that will allow both children and their parents to have an opportunity to experience skill building environments through the play and learn groups or similar group activities that parents have identified as needed or wanted
- Seek to build additional opportunities for programming expansion by looking for other partnering opportunities to benefit families such as
- Library systems
- The community colleges
- School districts
- Healthcare providers
- Preschools and childcare providers when available
- Early learning programs that have seemed inaccessible to parents previously
- Health departments
- Churches and service groups
- Collaborate with the Olympic-Kitsap Peninsulas Early Learning Coalition Program Manager to align work
- Participate in monthly coalition meetings to provide updates on grant related work
- Extremely good listener. Able to make parents feel they are important and that they are heard.
- Able to identify what is needed in communities based upon input from parents.
- Ability to utilize parents’ input to develop programs.
- Independent, self-starter AND team player
- Education: Minimum BA in human services, early learning, or health field.
- Able to travel, valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and reliable vehicle
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.